Thursday, January 17, 2013

LIT TERMS 1-5

Allegory- Platos allegory of the cave, when in henry the V speech, he says, "crowns of convoy be put into his purse."
That there shows a symbol saying more then what's written.

Alliteration- Martin Luther Kings " I have a Dream" speech http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=14358231

Allusion- I was surprised his nose was not growing like Pinocchio’s.” This refers to the story of Pinocchio, where his nose grew whenever he told a lie. It is from The Adventures of Pinocchio, written by Carlo Collodi. 

Ambiguity- "Thanks for dinner. I’ve never seen potatoes cooked like that before."
(Jonah Baldwin in the film Sleepless in Seattle, 1993)

Amplification- ' I am so incredibly hungry, I could eat a horse. I haven't eaten a thing since breakfast. My stomach is making weird growling noises, like it's screaming 'food food food!'. I can't concentrate on my work and when I walk my knees go wobbly. If I don't get something to eat soon, I may simply starve to death.'

No comments:

Post a Comment